Saturday, July 13, 2013

'Nigeria is the place God has ordained as my home' - Felicia Henderson

'Nigeria is the place God has ordained as my home' - Felicia Henderson


Felicia Henderson has a strong passion for his career, acting. So when he called a few years ago on the site for the documentary, he rushed to the place in a good mood. But the strange and surprising discovery by American Nollywood actress dampened his spirit. She wept uncontrollably when the true reality what he eats as fairy tales on his conscience. He was one of the few African Americans who could trace their roots and find appalling conditions in which their ancestors were sent to the country of the white man.
During his career, widow and mother of five children also expressed his passion for the belief that they must come first in every aspect of human life. This is the reason behind the establishment of the foundation.
Henderson has a unique training that many, especially the privileged class, will find it difficult.
And has benefited greatly from this, it has decided to provide similar training, which he said was satisfactory.
Although American Henderson Things Nigeria as his children. And he is determined to establish itself as a force to be reckoned with in the national film industry, Nollywood. Graduates of Allied Health and Business Management shares the story of his love for his new home, people, career and how she was able to instill entrepreneurial skills in their children at age

What you're as strong
As a child, I was very curious.? always ask me that makes a lot of trouble sometimes because I asked that children should not ask. I thought I was a normal child in a normal family. I remember as a very curious and I still want to know why it happened. I remember w hen I was about five or six years, there was a neighbor who had a dog. Pregnant dog and want to know how the puppies will come out, because I really wanted one of the puppies. Then I used to play with the dog. So I thought that if I hugged the puppy will come out. I finally pressed the dog and he bit me so hard on my cheek. That's how I got this scar on my cheek. I do not know how many points they gave me but I remember they had to put a lot of sewing needles at all. They erect needle as if a bee stung me. All this happened because I wanted to know how the puppies will come out.

Someone told me once that Americans want to know more about their origins. Have you ever tried to find out about your family tree?
I thought it was kind of a trend that people are doing DNA testing. Most people try to find their genealogy because of things like child support, or if you could do some crimes and some tests should be performed on you. But I really decided to do a DNA test because I wanted to know where I come from. I know where I'm going, in the sense that I know my mother and father are both African-American. My grandfather was like three generations of slavery. I remember that my mother told me that as a child they all go to work in the plantation had, but he did as a character builder and you get paid $ 20. But at that time my generation's turn to do so, we paid $ 20 a day the day we went. We had fun on the farm, and we find areas where we chopped cotton. We do not really know how to cut cotton, but what we do is line cotton weed control will not get stuck. With hoes, we are going to weed around, and it is hard work, even for $ 20. With that I could imagine what life is slavery because they do not have the luxury of choosing to go or not to go on the field. When my generation was our turn to do during the summer only possible for one or two weeks, we will go to court, go to the back of the truck and went to the ground. My family is very unique. My parents think that you do not like something, unless you work for it, then that's what I teach my children. I make them understand that everything they need in life, they need to work for it, because if you do not work for it, then you will not enjoy. I try to give my children the best I can give them, but give them the best I can give them, I also do work for it. They have a blackberry, they have a laptop. My son, I am very proud of him, give me first a business proposal. My oldest daughter is nineteen years, I founded my company's name, and my son is seventeen and have a business together. And they gave me their first business proposal and it is very strong. I think it was so hard because I have given them exposure. They are very active in everything I do and be involved in all aspects of my business outside the media, beyond me to be an actress. They helped to develop my training program, they give me an idea or a concept of things we need to do for young people in this country. They gave me a unique perspective on the latest trends, things still happen. Because they are young so they have always a different opinion of me. I was impressed by the proposal he gave to me and I took it to my friend who actually agreed to support.

How about interests you most about Nigeria?
I think Nigeria is the place God has ordered my home. I did not choose. It is part of me, maybe even before I was born. I remember as a child, my mother said that when I grow up, I'm going to live in Africa. At that time, I did not even know there was a place called Nigeria. We are all exposed to Africa as a continent, so I guess that countries like Kenya, Ethiopia and Tanzania are part of a place. But the first time I came here I fell in love with this country. I guess these are the people, I was touched by their strength, encouragement and faith. There is so much potential here and I think if we ar e key to the development of small and medium enterprises that we are, if we can do a lot. There is a huge potential in the tourism sector if it is concentrated and packed hotels. Exercise also has great potential as naturally gifted as sportsmen and women of Nigeria. I think Nigeria will regain his crown and glory with the appropriate support. It may take a little time, but it will surely come.

How was your experience in Nigeria affect your vision of Africa?
What I tried to describe the most black people in America that my friends, is that we are all Africans, whether they like it or not. We are not Americans. I am an American because my ancestors were from the country. So what I can say is that all those who come into a country which come with a choice unless a majority of black people were forced to because they have been sold. Someone thought they were inferior. They are made and sold, chained and commandeered it. Some survived, oth ers did not. They were not thrown from the boat into the sea I do not know the story until I arrive in Nigeria. During my first production that I've done in this country, I was asked to come to banditry. They took me to a place called the point of no return, where I saw the remnants of slavery and for the first time, I cried on television. It was not, I shed tears because I've never seen where my ancestors came from, I will never understand what they are going through. Yes, I have heard stories about the slaves had been through, but they are a wonderful story because of where we are. Then it was like a fairy tale, some people brought to our country, but when I go to Badagry and really see what it was like before they get into the boat, when I saw how they were packed like sardines boat, I wondered how people could survive. When I saw they were chained, they channel the neck and feet and dragged themselves: if a person can not or are too weak to make other people suffer. I fe lt something in me that I did not know my own grandfather or great, great grandfather would go through something like that. And how are they strong survived this long journey? I still feel a lot of black Americans understand and think they have come that they may know.

role do you play in a movie that takes you to the Badagry?
This is not a movie, this is what we call a trip. It was more like a documentary. We do it for a telecommunications company and in so doing, I was traveling around Lagos and surrounding telecommunications show that this gadget can do, but because I also discovered that Lagos has a rich environment. I can see the first multi-storey building in which the first Bible was transcribed in Yoruba. But nothing touched me like the point of no return.

How do you find your way into the Nigerian film industry?
I came into Nollywood by friends. I have many friends who have encouraged me and beli eved in my talent. It turns out they were right. The camera loves me and I love it. I'm also a bit in the industry in the United States in the sense that I modeled and did some voice work and so on.

Tell us about your first job .
My first job is called the new path is done with Nokia Venture Apreel. It was my baptism in the Nigerian film industry. After that, I Tinsel. This is an African-American history who falls for one of the characters he met online. Characters actually using other people's photos, it's a tough story, I would not say a case of mistaken identity, but that still leaves the identity. But because I was so Afro-centric been in America, I come all the way to Nigeria only to discover he is not the person in the picture, but it's someone else.

In addition to these films, what other films that participated?
I participated in the spider, a television show, in which I play with my son Sash ay real life Tevon, play Alex. My husband Femi Branch in the show, I think I did two seasons, I'm not sure .. I'm also on Troubled Waters. I played Aunt Violet, a househelp. Aunt Violet is not a Nigerian. I think it was a Trinity, but he lived in Nigeria and is married to a Nigerian, but something happened and they were separated. So she now lives with a friend. Because he stayed with a friend and help around the house, she became Aunt Violet not househelp. Then, there are two sides of the coin, where I play the main character. My husband was Akin Lewis. This film tells the story of our family and the driver of the family. This story shows that, because you have money does not mean you have the best things in life. In the meantime, I thought I would give my children the best of everything and my husband thought it gave them the best of everything. But they do not really give us what we want because we gave them everything. And there was this family, which almost did not have enough, but having a child is responsible. But for me, I do not see it and there is a problem because my daughter fell in love with their children, so it is always shouted password (laughs).

looking at the role that you have played so far in all the movies you've participated in, would you have at least one case in which you are playing similar to what is your role in real life?
I think all my characters are like me in one way or another. The wonderful thing about acting is that it is the work of an actor or actress "to ensure that they appear natural. And for me, the way I work in the morning when I read my character would be a character that works for me.

strong history of sexual harassment is still spoken in the film industry. Are you a victim of sexual abuse since he joined the industry?
No, because I am a no nonsense guy, I do not leave room for it. I know it is there, but because of the people with whom I worked, I was lucky not to come across.

strong between different production sites that you participated in that could tell you the hardest?
I thought it was both sides of the coin. My character is a bit difficult because I had to explore my emotions are not usually encountered. It is a bit annoying this season. I'm usually very cool and rational. I do not get angry easily so difficult to lock in emotion. Her name is Teresa by the way.

strong What do you do apart from acting?
I have my own business and I was in the media, such as cameras and I love the camera. I do not consider myself a celebrity. I'm just a woman who has a career in this field, I have never studied Theatre Arts. Some other things I do? I'm human, I have an NGO and I do a lot of things that are trying to develop Nigeria on humanitarian needs, such as giving back to the community. In Nigeria, we have become so immersed in the daily struggles of life on the day, we forgot the people because we do not think about money. This is the only way we see our problems, when in fact these are the people who will solve our problems. We forget that money is made by the people. You can not do anything without people, you can not survive without people. The people in your company, your staff people, they are your target audience. But because of the hunger and frustration, all we see is money. We do not realize that sometimes you have to plant the seeds before harvesting. These are the people that you are planting seeds that will now take the money. They might be a staff that you hire or who you give your customers the value of what they buy from you.


What is your vision for Nigeria given the current situation in the country
Well, this is my dream to help develop the country? I want to see a better Nigeria for the next generation. Because I believe that this country belo ngs to the children and my grandchildren and my grandchildren, I had to create a legacy for them to return to. Currently, my children actually in the state. Although things are not perfect in Nigeria, each state has a time like this. And when Nigeria grow and it would be better. Nigeria will be better there, but only if we make hard choices, we made a difficult decision. And we accept that it is not always easy.
you think how young people can contribute to the effort to bring Nigeria to the next level?
First, it does not begin with the young, it starts with people like me. You said that I was still young, but I think because of my age and my level and what I've seen in my life, I can not be classified as a young man. It is for me to take people under me who do not see what I see and educate them, talk with them, guide them, give them something to believe and hope and that's exactly what I have done. I have two television shows, one is all about empowering and i nspiring our young people, I have created a platform for them. I created a platform for them is a level, another level of self-regulation. When they see and learn, they will now communicate to those who are younger than them. Is
Many expressed the view that Nigerian women are marginalized. What is your opinion?
What I think is that everywhere in the world are the same woman. I do not think women are marginalized. Religion tells us that man is the head of the family and she was his maid. Religion, no man is more powerful than women and women are stronger than men, we complement each other. Some religions even say that a woman has a certain amount of knowledge and a man has a number of levels, but only until you get married you fill. It's the same thing as saying the man is the head and the woman's body. You can not have a head without a body and the head can not live without the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment